Monday, May 26, 2014

So Your Sauce is Done, Let's Make Tomato Powder!



So you've finished making your spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, puree or whatever is was you were doing with your tomatoes and you are left with the tomato remains from your mill, sieve, or vegetable strainer.  If you saw my last post then you set them aside to deal with later.

Later is here!  As a canner one of my main goals is to waste less and save more.  This follows that goal to the T.  


Supplies:

Tomato skins, seeds, pulp etc.
Dehydrator
Grinder of some sort





Take your tomato remains and spread them on the tray(s) of your dehydrator, the thinner the layer the faster the drying time.   Turn the dehydrator on and let them dry until they are brittle or break if you try to bend them.  




Mine took about 24 hours.  I am using an old Ronco dehydrator that my mom bought in the 90's and recently gave to me.  Not fancy, but it does the job.

When they are fully dried break into usable pieces and grind them into a fine powder.  I used my Magic Bullet and it worked well, but was a little time consuming.  I have heard of others using a coffee grinder and it working real well.  If you try this let me know what you use to grind.

Transfer the powder to a jar and it is ready to be used.




Here is a conversion chart that I found on www.yourownhomestore.com:




Other uses for tomato powder:


  • Use in place of tomato paste to thicken sauces
  • Add depth to the color and flavor of a dish
  • Add to baking and bread
  • Add to dry rubs and stir frys
  • Add to dips 
  • Add to soups and stews

You can purchase it, but it with the right equipment it is so easy to make and it's FREE with no extra added chemicals or salt.  Did I mention it's FREE?  

I am in love with the fact that I am using the entire tomato, nothing is going to waste and that alone is worth the effort to me. 

With that I bid you adieu,  go forth and can......  














2 comments:

  1. I use a coffee grinder for any dried vegetable to make powder for soup or whatever. I keep the dried product stored in my pantry and grind what I need per recipe or task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carole. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete