Thursday, May 8, 2014

Canning: My Beginning

It all started when I realized that a whole lot of the beautiful vegetables from my garden had gone to waste. Oh I had wanted to learn to can for a long time, but I had no one to teach me and well it just seemed like a heck of a lot of work, and by the way it is a HECK of a lot of work.  I didn't have the proverbial Grandmother and Mother in the kitchen canning when I was growing up.  I grew up in Los Angeles.  We didn't have a garden and the only canned veggies or fruits that I new of came in tin cans from the grocery store.

The following winter I started my research. I read books, blogs, and anything canning related that I could.  I joined groups on  FaceBook and asked question after question.  It took awhile before I purchased some canning equipment.  I went slow, afraid that I would back out at the last moment.  Canning is serious business y'all.  I started with Strawberry Jam.  From what I've heard that's where most canners start.  It was love at first "ping."

I haven't looked back since.  That summer's garden was jellied, pickled, canned, and frozen.  Nothing went to waste and therein lies the beginning of my canning addiction.  I have discovered the pure joy and satisfaction of growing and "putting up" your own food.    From jams to fruits, to veggies, to meats, soups, stews, and chilis.  I've canned them all.

And that is my start.  Have you stared your canning journey yet?  If not, what are you waiting for?



No comments:

Post a Comment