Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Canning Chicken - Raw Packed






It took me awhile to get up the nerve to can chicken.  I just wasn't sure how it would taste. Now I am so glad I did.   It is fantastic!   I use it for any recipe that calls for cooked chicken, chicken tacos, chicken salad sandwiches, chicken and dumplings and yes sometimes we eat it right out of the jar, it's that good.



DISCLAIMER - This is the way I can chicken.  I have done research prior to canning it and verified times and pressures in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.   I always recommend that everyone do their own research and verifications in regards to canning.  Always keep safety in mind when canning.  




Today I will be canning 12 pounds of chicken.


Supplies:

Pressure Canner
12 pint jars, lids and rings
Canning salt (optional)
Skinless, boneless breast of chicken

**Each pint will fit about 1 pound of chicken**



This is what I did:


First I prepared my jars and lids.   I always give my jars a quick wash in some warm soapy water. Rinse well and then fill with about 1 or so inches of  hot water and set them in a roasting pan.  I put the roasting pan into the oven and set the heat at 250 degrees.  This will keep the jars warm and sterilize them. They must be in the oven for 30 minutes to be sterilized.  I then placed the lids into a small pan of hot, not boiling, water on top of the stove and leave them until I am ready to use them.  








Then I prepped my chicken.  I rinsed the chicken, removed any fat  and cut each breast into 1-2 inch pieces. This is a little over 12 pounds of chicken cleaned and cut up.








I then packed the hot jars with the chicken pieces leaving  1 inch headspace and added 1/2 tsp canning salt.  The canning salt is optional.








Then I cleaned the rim of the jar with a paper towel dampened with white vinegar.  A bit of chicken or grease could cause the lid not to seal.    I place the lids on and the rings finger tip tight and then placed into my prepared pressure canner.






I processed  at 10 lbs pressure 75 mins. for pints and 90 mins. for quarts.  10 lbs is the pressure for my elevation.  Make sure to check for your correct pressure.






After processing I turned off the heat and allowed my pressure canner to return to zero as per my pressure canner's instructions.  I then removed the jars and set them on a dish drying mat and listened for the magical ping.  





I waited 24 hours and then removed the rings, washed them up, labeled them and put them away.

Viola Canned Chicken!  I must also add the juice in the jar comes from the chicken when it cooks and makes a wonderful broth or base.  

Happy Canning Everyone!




















No comments:

Post a Comment